A new Persona Contraception Monitor has been launched which has improved features including a touchscreen, a calendar, advance notice of your test days, an alarm for test days and the ability to see details of your previous 6 cycles.
If you have a Monitor that looks like this, test sticks are still available so you can keep using it.
The test stick pack will look different to the ones you are used to buying, but the test sticks will work with your monitor. You will need to refer to your monitor booklet for instructions on how to use these test sticks (the one in the pack is for the new monitor), or you can download the monitor booklet here.
Should you have any questions or need any further assistance please contact our Persona Line.
Hormone-free method of contraception with no side effects
Persona is a method of natural contraception. It tracks the levels of 2 hormones in your urine to show you the days where you have to abstain from sex to avoid pregnancy. There are no side effects to worry about and you don't have to interrupt sex.
Side-effect free, natural and non-invasive
The Persona monitor tracks the hormones in your urine so you can see when you have a high or low pregnancy risk.
No method of contraception can provide 100% protection against pregnancy. Persona is 94% reliable which means that if 100 women use the monitor for 1 year, 6 are expected to become pregnant.
For a hassle-free love life
Enjoy spontaneous sex without the interruption of barrier contraceptives such as condoms.
More product views
What do other people think ?
"When I started having sexual relations, first thing I did is to look for the most appropriate contraception method. I didn’t had a lot of experience at that time, so was experiencing with condoms. Because of some unexpected accidents (condoms were breaking) I started off on the pill. Although it gave me headaches and made me put on weight I stuck with it for years. Then I had an implant fitted but that gave me crazy mood swings. Now my boyfriend and I use the Clearblue Contraception Monitor. I love the lack of side effects – such a relief. Would recommend for sure."
"Choosing the right contraceptive as a couple was a big decision for us. Anything I tried that contained hormones gave me side effects like headache, bloating and spots. My husband and I found barrier methods ruined any spontaneity so Persona is perfect for us. It’s easy to use and interesting for both of us to be more aware of my cycles – I used to think all women ovulated on day 14! Not the case for me at all!"
How to use Persona
1. Before you start using the Persona monitor
- Please always read the instructions on pack and in the leaflet carefully before use
- Don't press the 'm' button until you have read the user guide. This is because the exact time you press the 'm' button is very important and you will need to wait for your period to begin at the start of each menstrual cycle
- After your period has started, you can press the 'm' button to set your testing window
- Choose a 6 hour testing window in which you will be able to test the first urine of the day – on weekdays and weekends. For example, if you get up at 6am during the week and 9am at the weekends, make your testing window 5am to 11am. You can change this window at the beginning of each cycle
- The testing window is set to run from 3 hours before you press the 'm' button, to 3 hours after, so to set the 5am to 11am window, you'd press the 'm' button at 8am on the first morning
- The Persona monitor will only request a test during the testing window
2. Reading the Persona monitor
- Check the Persona monitor every morning, within the testing window, before you go to the toilet
- You will see either a red light, a green light or a yellow light:
- Red light: The risk of pregnancy is high, you shouldn't have sex until you see a green light.
During the first few cycles of use, you'll have more red days while the monitor learns about your cycle. From then on, expect to have between 6 to 12 red days each cycle.
- Green light: The risk of pregnancy is low, it is safe for you to have sex until the end of the next testing window
- Yellow light: You need to do a test. Make sure you use the first urine of the day.
3. When to test
- Test whenever you see the yellow light – this will always be within your chosen 6-hour window
- During your first cycle of use you will be asked to test 16 times, first on day 6, then on days 9 – 23
- After your first cycle of use you will only be asked to do 8 tests each menstrual cycle – always starting on day 6, then on seven consecutive days which may change from cycle to cycle
If you forget to check your Persona monitor during the testing window you may miss a test without realising it. The Persona monitor will make a decision using the available information, which may result in more red days for this and subsequent cycles.
4. How to test
- You must always use the first urine of the day
- Open a Persona Test Stick and use it immediately
- Hold the absorbent tip, pointing downwards in a stream of your urine for 3 seconds
- Insert the Persona Test Stick into the monitor. The yellow light will flash for 5 minutes as the monitor reads your hormone levels
NEVER mix Persona Test Sticks from different batches in one cycle.
5. After you've tested
- After the yellow light has stopped flashing, remove the Persona Test Stick
- Throw the Persona Test Stick away, don't flush it down the toilet
- At the end of a cycle, throw away any remaining Persona Test Sticks. You must use 8 Persona Test Sticks from the same batch each cycle. The batch number (lot) can be found on the end of the Persona Test Stick box and on each Test Stick foil wrapper. Starting a new cycle
- When your period has started, press the 'm' button to set your testing window again
- Don't worry if your menstrual cycle length has changed, as long as it's between 23 and 35 days
- If your period starts during the day after you normally press the 'm' button, simply wait for the next morning to press the 'm' button and set this day as 'day 1'
- If you forget to press the 'm' button on day 1, you can still set it on day 2, 3, 4 or 5. Hold the button down until the correct day shows
- If you miss all 5 days your Persona monitor won't have enough information to advise you this cycle. You should abstain from sex until you can set the Persona monitor again at your next period. If you choose to use a barrier contraceptive (e.g. a condom), reliability will be subject to your chosen method
Frequently asked questions
Do I really have to abstain from sex on all 'red' days?
For Persona to be 94% reliable*, you must not have sex on any red days. If you choose to have sex on a red day using an alternative method, the reliability is based on the method of contraception you choose to use, and not on Persona.
* No method of contraception can provide 100% protection against pregnancy. The Persona is 94% reliable if you follow the instructions properly and use it as the only method of contraception. This means that if 100 women use Persona for one year, we expect 6 will become pregnant because they have had sex on a day when the monitor incorrectly showed they were not at risk of becoming pregnant (green day). For the Persona to be 94% reliable, you must not have sex on red days. You are much more likely to become pregnant if you have sex on a red day, even if you use a barrier method of contraception, such as a condom.
What if my first urine of the day isn’t within my testing window?
If you work shifts that change your waking times, or you get up in the night to go to the toilet, you may need to collect urine to test during your testing window. Collect your urine in a clean, dry container, and store at room temperature until you are ready to test. When you are ready to test, dip the absorbent sampler into the sample for 15 seconds (not 3 seconds). Always test using the first urine after your longest sleep.
What happens if I’m ill during a cycle?
If you are able to, you should continue to use your monitor and do all the tests when your monitor asks you to. If you cannot test, your monitor will make a decision based on the information it has stored. This may mean you have more red days for that cycle and your next few cycles.
What if I forget to look at Persona and miss a test?
If you don’t test when asked, the monitor will usually show a red day at the end of your testing window and you may have more 'red' days than usual during that and subsequent cycles. If you have an extra Persona test stick left over at the end of your cycle, throw it away. All Persona test sticks used in a cycle must come from the same batch number.
Can the Persona monitor lose my information?
The monitor retains several months of your most recent cycle data. However, the monitor depends on a constant supply of battery power to keep the internal clock accurate, so you must always replace the batteries within four weeks of the battery symbol appearing. We recommend Duracell AAA long-life alkaline batteries.
- # No method of contraception can provide 100% protection against pregnancy. Persona is 94% reliable if you follow the instructions properly and use it as the only method of contraception. This means that if 100 women use Persona for one year, we expect 6 will become pregnant because they have had sex on a day when the monitor incorrectly showed they were not at risk of becoming pregnant (green day). For Persona to be 94% reliable, you must not have sex on red days. You are much more likely to become pregnant if you have sex on a red day, even if you use a barrier method of contraception, such as a condom.