Persona Contraception Monitor is a natural method of contraception. It has no side effects, involves no drugs and is easy to use. It works by monitoring hormone changes in your urine to identify the days of your menstrual cycle when you are likely to become pregnant.
94% reliable *
Persona contraception monitor is 94% reliable which means that if 100 women use the monitor for 1 year, 6 are expected to become pregnant.
Tracks 2 natural hormones in urine
Using simple urine tests it tracks the changes in 2 hormones (estrogen and luteinising hormone) to tell you when it’s safe to have sex (green days)* and when there is a risk that unprotected sex may result in pregnancy (red days)
No side effects
Free from the side effects of hormonal contraception and free from the inconvenience of other methods.
Persona Contraception Monitor consists of a touch screen monitor and test sticks. Test sticks are sold separately. You will need 16 test sticks for the first cycle of use and 8 test sticks from your second cycle onwards.
More product views
How to use Persona Contraception Monitor
Before using Persona Contraception Monitor you need to be sure it is the right method of contraception for you.
You must not use Persona Contraception Monitor if:
- your cycles are shorter than 23 days or longer than 35 days
- you have had menopausal symptoms, such as night sweats or hot flushes;
- you are breastfeeding;
- you are using hormonal treatments e.g. hormonal contraception, fertility treatments and hormone replacement therapy;
- you are using any other treatments which may affect your cycle;
- you are taking antibiotics containing tetracyclines. Once you have finished your treatment you may start using Persona Contraception Monitor at the beginning of your next cycle;
- you have impaired liver or kidney function;
- you have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS);
- you cannot or do not want to become pregnant under any circumstances.
Persona Contraception Monitor does not protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or HIV.
You cannot use Persona Contraception Monitor straight away if you have recently been:
- using hormonal contraception or treatments;
- using any other treatment which may affect your cycle;
- pregnant (even if you have not carried to full term).
After pregnancy or once you have completely stopped breastfeeding or finished taking hormonal contraception or other treatments which may affect your cycle, you will need to wait until you have had at least 2 natural menstrual cycles in a row. Both of these cycles must last between 23 and 35 days. You can then start to use Persona Contraception Monitor on your third cycle.
Before using the Persona Contraception Monitor
- Please always read the instructions on pack and in the leaflet carefully before use.
- You need to set up the Contraception Monitor at the beginning of your next cycle.
- Only test when you see the test day screen (orange).
At the start of each menstrual cycle
- You must set a new cycle each menstrual cycle. You should do this on day 1, which is the first day of your period. (The first day of your period is the first day of blood flow – you should ignore spotting.) If you forget to do this on day 1, you may still set up a new cycle until day 4 of your cycle.
Enter the date on which your period started, then enter the time.
You need to inform your monitor when each new cycle begins. To do this you must set a cycle every time a new period starts.
- Choose a 6 hour testing window in which you will be able to test the first urine of the day – on weekdays and weekends. For example, if you get up at 6am during the week and 9am at the weekends, make your testing window 5am to 11am. You can change this window at the beginning of each cycle
- The Persona contraception monitor will only request a test during the testing window
Daily contraception status
- Check the Persona contraception monitor every morning, within the testing window, before you go to the toilet
- Each day the monitor will show the current date and time, and the day of your cycle. Turn your monitor on every morning within the testing window to check whether it is a green day, a red day or a test day. You will probably want to check before having sex and use the advice displayed. If it is a test day the result of the test will apply.
- Red days are days around the time you ovulate and mean you are at a high risk of getting pregnant if you have sex, even if you use a condom.
- Green days mean you are free to have sex without using contraception*.
- Test days mean you will need to do a test to see if you are on a red day or a green day. You must test using your first urine of the day after you wake up. If you need to do a test the test light will flash. If you have set an alarm, this will sound at the time you need to test.
- During the first few cycles of use, you’ll have more red days while the monitor learns about your cycle. From then on, expect to have between 6 to 12 red days each cycle.
When to test
- Test whenever you see the test day screen – this will always be within your chosen 6-hour window
- During your first cycle you will be asked to test on 16 days. You will be asked for the first test on day 6 and the rest of the tests on days 9 to 23.
- After your first cycle you will be asked to do a test on 8 days of each menstrual cycle. You will always be asked to do your first test on day 6. Your monitor will ask for the rest of the tests on any 7 days in a row. Test days may vary from cycle to cycle.
If you forget to check your Persona monitor during the testing window you may miss a test without realising it. The Persona monitor will make a decision using the available information, which may result in more red days for this and subsequent cycles.
How to test
- You must always use the first urine of the day
- When you are ready to test, remove a test stick from its foil wrapper and use it straight away.
- Put just the absorbent sampler pointing downwards into your urine stream for 3 seconds only. Or, you can collect a sample of your urine in a clean, dry container and put just the absorbent sampler into the urine, as shown, for 15 seconds only.
- Keeping the test stick pointing downwards, take the cap off the handle and place it over the absorbent sampler. Wipe any excess urine off the test stick.
- Insert the test stick, as shown, into the test stick slot straight away and place the monitor on a flat surface. Wait for 5 minutes. The screen will switch off after 1 minute, which is normal. The monitor will continue to analyse the test. The test light will flash during testing.
NEVER mix Persona test sticks from different batches one cycle.
After you've tested
- Once testing has finished, the alarm will sound. If the monitor is off, switch it back on. The screen will ask you to remove the test stick. Throw the test stick away with your normal household waste.
- You must not reuse a test stick.
- Once you have removed the test stick, the screen will show whether it is a green day or a red day.
- At the end of a cycle, throw away any remaining Persona test sticks. You must use 8 Persona test sticks from the same batch each cycle. The batch number (lot) can be found on the end of the Persona test sticks box and on each test stick foil wrapper.
Below is an example of how your calendar may look.
Frequently asked questions
Do I really have to abstain from sex on all 'red' days?
What if my first urine of the day isn’t within my testing window?
What happens if I’m ill during a cycle?
What if I forget to look at the Persona contraception monitor and miss a test?
Can the Persona contraception monitor lose my information?
The monitor retains several months' of your most recent cycle data. However, the monitor depends on a constant supply of battery power to keep the internal clock accurate, so you MUST ALWAYS replace the batteries when you see the following screens.
There is a message saying 'Low batteries'. The batteries are low and should be replaced straight away to avoid losing your data. It is very important to use 2 AA alkaline (LR6) 1.5v batteries. Do not use rechargeable batteries. The batteries must not be replaced during your testing window. Switch the monitor off first and only remove the batteries when you have new ones to insert.
There is a message saying 'Replace batteries!' You will need to replace the batteries before you can test. The monitor will switch itself off to protect stored information. Do not remove the batteries until you are ready to replace them. It is very important to use 2 AA alkaline (LR6) 1.5v batteries. Do not use rechargeable batteries. Once you have inserted new batteries you must switch on your monitor to allow it to do necessary checks.
- * No method of contraception can provide 100% protection against pregnancy. The Persona Contraception Monitor is 94% reliable if you follow the instructions properly and use it as the only method of contraception. This means that if 100 women use the Persona Contraception Monitor for one year, we expect 6 will become pregnant because they have had sex on a day when the monitor incorrectly showed they were not at risk of becoming pregnant (green day). For the Persona Contraception Monitor to be 94% reliable, you must not have sex on red days. You are much more likely to become pregnant if you have sex on a red day, even if you use a barrier method of contraception, such as a condom.